Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Praying Pines

I saw this pine tree along my country commute today.

Does he look like he's praying to you? 
He did to me.

I'm pretty sure I know  
exactly  how he feels.



We're in a serious drought, you see.
It's gone way beyond wilted flowers
 and dry grass.

What once was wetlands
 is now dry gulch. 


And the Georgia pines aren't doing so well...

There are solitary sufferers...


And entire  piney stick forests.


Broken branches hanging by a thread


 and ones left to grow on their own
drying up along the way.

It's amazing how much a literal drought is like a spiritual one, isn't it?


To be honest, it's getting kind of scary around here. I tend to be a 'fraidy cat with a vivid imagination, after all. Between the poor economy and these dust bowl days, I could imagine myself a character from The Grapes of Wrath with very little encouragement. 

But  God has not given me a spirit of fear. God has given me a quiet reminder in the forest instead.

And so, I make like the pine tree,
and I bow.

Would you please intercede for the southeast, and ask God for the mercy of rain? 

And for me today:

Let my teaching fall like rain 
and my words descend like dew,
 like showers on new grass, 
like abundant rain on tender grass. 

I will praise the Word of the LORD
Oh, praise the greatness of the LORD.
Deuteronomy 32:2-4

*****
 Comments are off

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails