Sunday, June 10, 2012

I Have This Much Against You

 Yet, I have this much against you: You have abandoned your first love.
~Revelation 2:4

I think these are among the saddest words ever written.


They  weren't written to a person, or to a nation, either.
 They were written to the church. 

They were breathed out against the church in Ephesus, a church otherwise known for its good deeds, hard work, and perseverance, a church commended for testing false apostles and enduring hardships in the name of Christ. 

Yet through it all, they had managed to abandon the first love.  Can you relate?


Remember the height from which you have fallen...


Repent and do the things you did at first...


I wonder...
If the Son of Man were speaking to my church, what would he say?

Maybe...

Behold, I stand at the door and knock...


Once again, these words weren't to a person or a nation but to the church. This time, it was the church in Laodicea. You probably know this one, it's one to whom He also said, '

You are lukewarm-- neither hot nor cold-- 
I'm about to spit you out of my mouth. 


Yet in His grace and mercy, He stands at the door of that very lukewarm church and makes this personal plea for individual fellowship.

If anyone hears my voice and opens the door,
I will come in and dine with him, and he with me. 



Just some food for thought this morning. 


As we sit in our respective pews and worship in our various ways,
what might the Spirit be saying to our churches?




And if by any chance, in the quiet of your moments, you should hear Someone knocking,


Will you choose to be His individual guest?


*****
Scripture from Revelation 2 and 3.
Photos from the National Cathedral in DC.
This post isn't about our nation, though. It's about the body of believers within it.
Isn't that where real change begins?

Comments off.
Have a wonderful Sunday!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails