Saturday, June 19, 2010

Adventures in Savannah

This morning, a friend asked me to drive with her to Savannah and wait while she completed a four hour exam for school. I was more than happy to do it, not only because she’s a friend, but also because I love any opportunity to spend time in one of the most beautiful cities in America.

I dropped her off at 7:30 and wondered for only a few minutes what I was going to do with my time so early in the day.  I got a cup of coffee…venti, of course, and I headed for a leisurely stroll around the water front before the Savannah heat and crowds made it a less pleasant adventure.

Savannah’s water front is named, for obvious reasons, River Street.

You are invited to stroll with me.

I warn you, however, to wear comfortable shoes.


The streets are cobblestone, mostly from ballast left by the ships which visited the Savannah ports in the 18th century. 


Above, iron walkways lead the way to the shops on Factors Walk, so named for the cotton factors who would oversee the commerce during the days of King Cotton.


Those little iron bridges are my favorite part.


Complete solitude...



 Just me and my venti...
 and that homeless man back there


Before long the streets will be filled with people...


and the temperature will reach 98 degrees...

But at that moment, it is 
empty
     and quiet
      and cool...



Well, sort of...




So I finished my coffee
 and headed away from River Street
 for more Savannah adventures
 with the shiny red Kodak...

...which I intend to yak all about later.

11 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I love Savannah. It's a neat town and one of the neatest on the East Coast next to Charleston and St. Augustine. Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I guess I should say, the Southeastern Coast.

southerninspiration said...

Oh, how I wish I was walking with you! I would love to tour Savannah, and many other southern cities!

Suzanne

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

I love Savannah, and we have been there several times!
I enjoyed taking the tour with you--it brought back memories--the first time we were there was when I was prego with Sarah, so it's been 20 years--the last time was 2 years ago, and we also went to Tybee Island and Hilton Head during that week long trip.
You are right when you say it gets HOT!!
I too, love the iron bridge and cobblestone roads!
Where do you live?
I am in Greenville, SC.
I was just wondering how close you were to me :)
The pictures were lovely and I'm sure you enjoyed a little "you" time!
Blessings to you!
~me

BECKY said...

I know what you mean about the heat there! We have visited several times during the summer, and it gets hot...fast!! We love it there, too! My great grandmother lived on the marsh when I was a kid, and we loved our visits there!
Good stuff. Love walking River Street, too, when it is cooler. Never been there when it was empty!

Love your photos!
Have a great Sunday!
becky

Sandy said...

While visiting this city last year, I fell in love with it.. I so want a house around the park area... so beautiful!
Aslo, Thank you for your visit to my blog today.. and your comment on the "bath light fixture".. I too did not want the trouble of taking it down, so what the heck,, lets try it without doing that.. turned out great! Good luck on yours!
Sandy
thewondersofdoing@blogspot.com

Spencer said...

WOW, Macon GA is a very beautiful place. I will be going to Macon at the end of August. I have been called to serve an LDS mission their. I have been told by many people how wonderful the people are, and how many trees there are. You see, I live in Utah, and we have to really try hard to get trees to grow.
Well if your ever in town, I may come preech to you some time. "Prepare to be Convirted"JK

FrouFrouBritches said...

Oh my gracious!! It's so beautiful!!! I've never been but I have always wanted to go. Did you go to The Lady & Sons? Boy, those pictures make me wish Hubby and I could leave the kids with the grandparents and go for a week. FUN! Thanks for sharing!

Tracy F. said...

I haven't been to Savannah in quite awhile, so I enjoyed the tour! I love the quote from "GWTW"!

Jennie said...

I've never experienced River Street at 7:30 in the morning. Something tells me I would love it! (I even love it there when it's hot and sticky.) Tell me. How does it compare to Charleston? I've never been and everyone says I've got to visit.

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Love the cobblestone, bridges, and boardwalks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails