Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Simple Gift of Friendship

On Friday, I invited a few friends for a luncheon at my home. It was no special occasion, unless you consider friendship alone a reason to celebrate like I do. Actually, we had been tossing around the idea of starting a luncheon club for a while now. The inspiration came from the The List. On it, I have a section dedicated to the use of the beautiful china, crystal, serving pieces etc. that I keep way too secured behind the glass curtain. I think it’s a casualty of the Mommy Years. My friends agreed that their own lovelies had suffered the same fate, and so the idea was born.

Since it is spring break, and since I am in the middle of my 29 Day Gift Adventure, I decided to jump in and host the first luncheon. I’m so glad that I did. We had a lovely time.

I snapped some pictures before the guests arrived. After that, I put up the shiny red Kodak and enjoyed my friends.

The table setting was pink, not only because I love pink, but also because my china is pink. (Yes… back in the 80’s we didn’t have enough sense to choose a neutral pattern…I love my Shenandoah, however, and would probably choose it all over again if I had the choice.)

China: Shenandoah, by Noritake 
Crystal: Moonspun, by Lenox.
Flowers: Azaleas and dogwoods, by God.

The food was deliberately light and all easily fixed ahead of time.


The salad was a mixture of spring greens, fruit, and vegetables. I added dried cranberries for a little pink and served with pink raspberry walnut vinaigrette.


The lunch plate included curry chicken salad, cold vegetable salad, and pasta salad. My sister provided her delicious pasta salad for us. Not only did it help to have it made, but she’s doing the 29 Gifts Challenge with me so that was her gift for the day.

And do you see that lovely little bed of lettuce? It's a first fruit offering from our square foot gardens that I yakked about HERE.  Right now, they are looking more like this.


Meanwhile, back at the luncheon...

Because we’re all dieting, I kept the dessert really simple. It’s a weight watchers recipe for pink cherry fluff.


Coffee and conversation lasted until 5:00, and we planned our next luncheon for the beginning of June. (May was intentionally skipped… If you are a teacher or have school aged children, no explanation is necessary, is it?)

Lunch with friends. My 8th gift.

5 comments:

Amy Kinser said...

What a great time it sounds like you all had. Good for you! Friends are such a blessing and I am so thankful to God for the one's He has blessed me with.

Anonymous said...

What a delight for the eyes and tummy! YUMMY!
This is what it means to have southern hospitality and charm - it is called Debbie.

Candace

laura :) said...

Aaaand who helped prepare? You have the best daughter ever!

Beverly said...

Looks like a lovely lunch. I am having a dinner with two of my best friends this Friday evening. I am making lasagna, garlic bread and salad and they are bringing pie. I love "girl" time. I wanted to come and thank you for the lovely comment you made on my blog about my father. It meant a lot to me.

Jennie said...

I'm loving the updates and can't wait to see what the rest of the month holds! (And I also can't wait until my friends and I have/make time to do something like this! How cool is that?!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails